Pronto Insurance is a managing general agency (MGA), providing sales and distribution, underwriting and claims administration services focused primarily on the non-standard auto insurance market segment in Texas. The company has approximately 100 locations statewide in Corpus Christi, the Rio Grande Valley, Laredo, San Antonio, El Paso, Houston and Austin.
Providing specialist insurance services for the underserved Hispanic market.
Operating in the fast-growing, high-value non-standard auto insurance market, Pronto’s unique grassroots marketing strategy connects with Hispanic customers at a community level, placing an emphasis on asset protection and customer service, versus minimum coverage policies.
When we invested in the business, we could see exciting opportunities to leverage the strength of its brand and multiple distribution channels to access new markets and accelerate its growth. When we eventually exited the business in 2018, through a sale to Arthur J. Gallagher & Co, we had helped to establish one of the largest and best-performing MGAs in the U.S., with a significantly higher value.
“Alongside multiple avenues for organic growth serving the fast-growing US Hispanic market, we could see a number of attractive acquisition opportunities for Pronto in other large Hispanic communities across Texas, California and Florida. But, beyond these initial acquisitions, we wanted to help put in place a framework to support a longer-term M&A strategy. The Palladium team worked closely with the Pronto management team to establish a proprietary pipeline of M&A opportunities, as well as a value creation process that set the company up for long-term success.”
Partner, Co-Head of Flagship Funds, Palladium
Making a difference
- Led strategic planning initiatives, including developing a five-year forecast aligned with management incentives, and successfully delivered on a 100-day plan.
- Redeveloped and expanded its e-commerce platform and entered new product lines.
- Negotiated improved carrier and reinsurer terms.
- Completed add-ons to expand its footprint in California and established a new presence in Florida.
- Established a more flexible capital structure and favorable debt covenants.
- Strengthened financial reporting.
- Worked closely with management to develop and track key performance indicators, as well as upgrading its IT system to improve reporting.
- Focused on continuous process improvement in underwriting, claims management, analytics, agents and retention.
- Recruited three independent board members and implemented a stronger governance framework (quarterly board meetings, monthly operating reviews, etc.)
- Recruited a new CFO, COO, VP of BD, e-commerce specialist and financial planning and analysis professional and promoted its President to CEO.